All time favorite chicken pakodas prepared with spinach.
Here is the recipe..
Serves 2 as a snack
Chicken Breast - 1, cut into bite sized strips or chunks
Gram Flour (Besan) - 4 Tablespoons
Rice Flour - 1 Tablespoon
Baby Spinach Leaves - a big handful
Green Chilli - 1 or as per spice level
Onion - 2 Tablespoons, Finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 Teaspoon
Coriander Leaves - 2 Tablespoons finely chopped
Yogurt -1 Tablespoon
Salt to taste
Tandoori Masala - 1/4 Teaspoon, optional
Water as required
Oil for frying
1. Clean, cut and wash the chicken pieces. Discard all the water and keep aside.
2. Bring water to boil in a small saucepan. Add the baby spinach leaves and simmer for 2 minutes. Drain the spinach leaves into a colander. Wash under cold water. Keep aside.
3. Once the spinach leaves have completely cooled, squeeze gently to remove all the water.
4. Add the spinach leaves to a blender. Add 1 Tablespoon of chopped onion, 1 Tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves, green chilli and the yogurt and blend well to a fine paste.
5. To the chicken pieces, add ginger garlic paste and 80% of the ground spinach paste. Add tandoori masala and salt to taste and mix well to coat the chicken pieces. Keep this aside for minimum 30 minutes. If marinating for longer then keep it in a refrigerator. Remember to place it outside the refrigerator 30 minutes before frying.
6. In a mixing bowl add gram flour and the remaining 20% of the spinach paste. Add salt, chopped onion, chopped coriander and mix well. Add water to form a smooth batter of coating consistency. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
7. Heat oil for deep frying.
8. When the oil is hot, reduce the flame to low. Dip the chicken pieces in the gram flour batter to coat completely and drop it in the hot oil. Drop each of the chicken piece individually in the oil to avoid sticking to one another.
9. Fry in batches and do not crowd the pan. Fry over medium low flame to ensure even cooking.
10. Remove onto absorbent kitchen paper and serve hot.
Enjoy Spinach Chicken Pakoda