I came across this recipe on my facebook newsfeed. The name was the first thing which caught my attention. Mud and Hen Bars, very unique. I then saw the picture which made me even more interested. I finally read the recipe and instantly liked it and made a note.
Like the owner of the recipe and several others even I am not sure why the name. This is one of the tastiest bars I have ever made and I will definitely be making it again.
Crunchy, soft and chewy, all three in one great dessert or even call it a snack. It is very easy to make and tastes excellent.
Here is the recipe..
Makes 12-14 bars depending on the size you cut.
All Purpose Flour - 3/4 cup
Butter - 1/4 cup, 60 grams at room temperature
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Brown sugar - 1/4 cup (I used dark soft brown sugar, the wet one)
Caster Sugar - 1/2 cup (Original recipe calls for light brown sugar, I did not have it handy)
Egg - 2
Baking Powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
Vanilla Extract - 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt - 1/8 Teaspoon
Mini Marshmallows - 1/2 cup
Chocolate Chips - less than 1/2 cup (I used semi sweet)
Almonds - 1/2 cup chopped (Optional, Use any nuts of choice, I did not use any)
Mini M&Ms - 1/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Spray or butter a baking pan. Line it with parchment paper and butter the parchment paper. I used my small loaf pan.
3. In a small mixing bowl crack one egg. Beat it slightly. Keep aside.
4. Separate the white and yolk of the other egg and keep aside.
5. In a mixing bowl add butter by cutting it into small cubes. Add the sugar and the dark brown sugar. Using a whisk, hand mixer or stand mixer mix it until it turns creamy.
6. Add 2 tablespoons of the slightly beaten egg and the egg yolk, vanilla extract, baking powder and salt. Mix well until it turns very smooth and creamy.
7. Add the flour and mix to combine completely.
10. In a clean mixing bowl add the egg white. Whisk it or beat it till stiff peaks form.
11. Add the caster sugar or light brown sugar and mix to combine.
14. Let it cool completely before you cut it into desired sized bars.
Enjoy Mud and Hen Bars
If you like this recipe then show your love by leaving a comment and by liking my Facebook page https://facebook.com/yescook
I would love to hear feedback and suggestions. Kindly feel free to write one.
Recipe adapted from www.serenabakessimplyfromscratch.com